Lemony Chickweed Feta Salad
5 cups tender Chickweed greens
4 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper (lemon pepper is best)
1. Toss Chickweed greens and feta cheese together.
2. Mix up the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a separate cup or bowl.
3. Add dressing just before serving.
Note: This salad does not keep well at all, so make only what you are going to eat when serving.
Chickweed Egg Salad
4 hard-boiled eggs
2/3 cup Chickweed greens, chopped
1 tsp horseradish
1 Tbsp fresh chives
½ cup mayonnaise
1. Chop eggs coarsely.
2. Add Chickweed greens, chives, and horseradish. Mix gently.
3. Add mayonnaise and mix just enough to coat ingredients.
Spring flowers add a special beauty and charm to this salad, the recipe is endlessly adaptable to whatever is available on your foraging expedition. This is a recipe I like to use on my wild food walks.
3 cups Chickweed
3 cups grated carrots (4 or 5 medium carrots)
Add any of the following:
*Violet leaves and flowers
*small Dandelion leaves and flower petals
*chopped Wild Leeks
Toss everything together. You can serve it marinated or with dressing on the side. Sprinkle with Violet flowers and Dandelion petals.
Creamy Chickweed Dressing
This recipe is truly yummy (and healthy)!
½ cup olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar)
1 tsp honey
2 cups fresh Chickweed greens
¼ tsp salt
1 garlic clove
dash of pepper
½ cup yogurt
1. In blender or food processor, blend all ingredients but the yogurt thoroughly.
2. Add yogurt, and blend gently until smooth.