1 cup white flour
1/3 cup butter or shortening
½ tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp cold water
Note: I like to make my pie crusts in a food processor. It’s quick and easy and makes a fine, flaky crust.
1. Put flour, butter and salt in a food processor.
2. Turn on medium to high, until it forms a coarse, crumbly mixture.
3. Add 1 Tbsp cold water at a time and blend until it forms into a lump. Be careful not to add too much water.
4. Roll out as for any pie crust.
4 cups lambsquarters leaves, chopped
¼ cup onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1½ cups milk
2 cups (8 oz) Swiss cheese, grated
1. Pre-bake pie shell in oven at 450° for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Sautee Lambsquarters and onion in butter until tender (don’t overcook)
3. Add flour and salt and mix together
4. In a separate bowl or in a blender whip together eggs and milk.
5. Add egg mixture to Lambsquarters.
6. Spread the grated Swiss cheese over the bottom of the pie crust.
7. Pour filling over the top of the cheese.
8. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before cutting.
9. Serve hot or cold.
This recipe is a bit of a project to make but well worth every minute of it!
12 lasagna noodles
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 15-oz tub ricotta cheese
½ cup minced parsley (I use the food processor)
2 small eggs or 1 large
4 cups cooked Lambsquarters (about 1 gallon fresh)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
½ cup minced onion
1. Cook lasagna noodles until soft in boiling water, drain and cool under cold water.
2. Blanch Lambsquarters leaves for 5 minutes in boiling water, drain.
3. Shred the mozzarella cheese and set aside.
4. Prepare the ricotta filling in another bowl and set aside.
5. Make Lambsquarters filling by melting butter at medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Saute onion briefly, then add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk and salt. Stir until smooth, then add Lambsquarters. Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, until nice and thick.
6. Put ½ cup Lambsquarters filling in bottom of a deep 9×13 pan, spreading evenly.
7. Put 3 lasagna noodles side by side in bottom of pan.
8. Spread 1/3 ricotta filling, then 1/3 Lambsquarters filling, then 1/3 mozzarella cheese.
9. Repeat layers twice more, saving ½ cup mozzarella and ½ cup Lamsquarters filling for the top.
10. Spread filling and sprinkle cheese over the top of the noodles, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
This recipe works well with Wild Amaranth, Nettles, or Lambsquarters.