Fresh Herb Pasta
This is a variation on pesto that uses a good quantity of fresh tender greens.
1 lb spinach pasta
4 cups fresh Lambsquarters greens
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ cup sautéed green onions
1 carrot, grated
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (or grated parmesan)
½ cup chopped olives
1. Cook spinach pasta until tender, drain.
2. Meanwhile sauté green onions, grate carrots, crumble cheese and chop olives.
3. In a food processor, blend Lambsquarters, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until a smooth paste.
4. Mix all the above ingredients together with the cooked noodles, thoroughly coating the noodles with the Lambsquarters.
5. Serve warm with a lovely green salad and garlic bread.
Note: If fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes are in season, you may want to add 2 cups chopped, raw tomatoes to this recipe. Yummy!
My husband grew up eating Hamburger Helper, so anytime I cook something that reminds him of home, he just loves it. Here’s a green, healthy version:
1 lb flat pasta noodles
1 lb hamburger
4 cups cooked Lambsquarters (about 1 gallon fresh)
1/3 cup butter
½ cup minced onion
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
1. Cook pasta noodles in boiling water, strain and set aside.
2. Brown hamburger in a frying pan until well-done.
3. Sautee onions in butter in a large frying pan or heavy-bottomed pot.
4. Add flour to make a thick paste, stirring until smooth.
5. Add milk and salt, and stir, cooking until it just starts to thicken.
6. Add 4 cups pre-cooked Lambsquarters greens, and keep stirring and cooking until it forms a thick gravy.
7. Add hamburger and pasta and stir everything together.
8. Serve hot.