Wild Amaranth Hamburger Helper
My husband grew up eating Hamburger Helper, so anytime I cook something that reminds him of home, he just loves it. Here’s a green, healthy version:
1 lb flat pasta noodles
<1 lb hamburger
4 cups cooked Wild Amaranth (about 1 gallon fresh) 1/3 cup butter
½ cup minced onion
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
1. Cook pasta noodles in boiling water, strain and set aside.
2. Brown hamburger in a frying pan until well-done.
3. Saute onions in butter in a large frying pan or heavy-bottomed pot.
4. Add flour to make a thick paste, stirring until smooth.
5. Add milk and salt, and stir, cooking until it just starts to thicken.
6. Add 4 cups pre-cooked Wild Amaranth greens, and keep stirring and cooking until it forms a thick gravy.
7. Add hamburger and pasta and stir everything together.
8. Serve hot.
Wild Amaranth Spanokopita
4 cups cooked Wild Amaranth
1 12-oz can of black olives, sliced
1 lb. feta cheese
1 bulb garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
Tbsp olive oil
1 box filo leaves
½ -1 cup olive oil
1. Prepare Amaranth greens so that you have 4 cups cooked.
2. Mix Wild Amaranth greens with olives, feta cheese, garlic powder, salt, olive oil and chopped garlic.
This is your filling.
3. Cut filo leaves in half lengthwise. Follow directions on filo box for preparing and folding pastries properly. Put ¼ cup filling in each pastry. Use 3 sheets filo per pastry.
4. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Makes approx. 30 pastries.
Amaranth-Ricotta Pie (adapted from “Moosewood Cookbook”)
1 cup unbleached flour
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2-3 Tbsp cold water
1 tsp butter
1 cup minced wild leeks (or onions)
3 cups Wild Amaranth greens, cooked and drained thoroughly (about 1 gallon fresh)
½ tsp salt
16-oz. ricotta cheese
3 beaten eggs
3 Tbsp flour
1½ cups grated sharp cheese (8 oz)
1. Prepare pie crust for 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Sauté leeks or onion in butter. Combine with Wild Amaranth, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl beat eggs, ricotta, and flour and ½ of the grated cheese together. Add to Wild Amaranth and mix thoroughly.
5. Spread into the unbaked pie shell.
6. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
7. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until firm to touch at center.
Wild Amaranth Cocktail
1 cup tomato juice
½ cup Amaranth broth or tonic infusion
1 Tbsp vinegar (use your herbal vinegar!) or lemon juice
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Dash Tabasco sauce
Mix everything together and drink! Serve hot or cold. This is quick, easy and delicious. I like to have it with breakfast to give my day a healthy start!