WILD AMARANTH RECIPES
Wild Amaranth Quiche
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup butter or shortening
½ tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp cold water
Note: I like to make my pie crusts in a food processor. It’s quick and easy and makes a fine, flaky crust.
1. Put flour, butter and salt in a food processor.
2. Turn on medium to high, until it forms a coarse, crumbly mixture.
3. Add 1 Tbsp cold water at a time and blend until it forms into a lump. Be careful not to add too much water.
4. Roll out as for any pie crust.
4 cups Wild Amaranth leaves, chopped
¼ onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1½ cups milk
2 cups (8 oz) Swiss cheese, grated
1. Pre-bake pie shell in oven at 450° for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Saute Wild Amaranth and onion in butter until tender (don’t overcook).
3. Add flour and salt and mix together.
>4. In a separate bowl or in a blender whip together eggs and milk.
5. Add egg mixture to Wild Amaranth.
6. Spread the grated Swiss cheese over the bottom of the pie crust.
7. Pour filling over the top of the cheese.
8. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before cutting.
9. Serve hot or cold.
Wild Amaranth Lasagna
This recipe is a bit of a project to make but well worth every minute of it!
12 lasagna noodles
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 15-oz tub ricotta cheese
½ cup minced parsley (I use the food processor)
2 small eggs or 1 large
Wild Amaranth Filling:
4 cups cooked Wild Amaranth (about 1 gallon fresh)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt 3 cups milk
½ cup minced onion
1. Cook lasagna noodles until soft in boiling water, drain and cool under cold water.
2. Blanch Wild Amaranth leaves for 5 minutes in boiling water, drain.
3. Shred the mozzarella cheese and set aside.
4. Prepare the ricotta filling in another bowl and set aside.
5. Make Wild Amaranth filling by melting butter at medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Sauté onion briefly, then add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk and salt. Stir until smooth, then add Wild Amaranth. Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, until nice and thick.
6. Put ½ cup Wild Amaranth filling in bottom of a deep 9×13 pan, spreading evenly.
7. Put 3 lasagna noodles side by side in bottom of pan.
8. Spread 1/3 ricotta filling, then 1/3 Wild Amaranth filling, then 1/3 mozzarella cheese.
9. Repeat layers twice more, saving ½ cup mozzarella and ½ cup Wild Amaranth filling for the top.
10. Spread filling and sprinkle cheese over the top of the noodles, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
This recipe works well with Wild Amaranth, Nettles, or Lambsquarters.